Find Your Local CMHA | NEED HELP NOW? Call 310-6789 in BC

You are currently on the:

CMHA National

Visit our provincial websites

Mental Heath Advocacy

“Advocacy is the act of speaking in support of human concerns and needs.  Where people have their own voice, advocacy means making sure they are heard; when they have difficulty speaking, it means providing help; where they have no voice, it means speaking for them.” (Penticton Advocacy network, 1998).

CMHA-SOS offers individual advocacy services which are accessed directly by individuals with a mental health disorder living in the South Okanagan Similkameen.

Advocacy is currently by appointment only. Advocacy request forms can be accessed at the front desk of Unity House Clubhouse – please fill out your name, contact information, and a brief description of what you are seeking support with. The Mental Health Advocate will get back to you as soon as possible.  

General information and resource connection can be accessed by phone. Call 778-476-5411. 

Office hours: Monday to Friday, 10am – 3pm

The Mental Health Advocate can aid in areas such as:

Housing – applications, tenancy dispute resolution, communicating with landlords and property managers

Finances – budgeting, dealing with debt, bankruptcy process, tax credit information, applying for financial aid or funding opportunities

Ministry (MSDPR) – communication with local office, paperwork, appeal process, providing up-to-date information

Medical and Mental Health – information, referrals, helping to set appointments, complaint procedures

Career, Employment & Education – resumes & cover letters, online job search and applications, referrals to programs and services

Legal – information and/or referral (we are unable to provide legal advocacy or legal advice)

General Support – other local resources, general problem solving, goal setting, discussions about self-care, etc. 

Please inquire via phone or email to determine whether your situation is eligible for our services. We look forward to hearing from you!

If you are in crisis, please contact the Interior Crisis Line at 1-888-353-2273 or the Kuu-us Aboriginal Crisis Line at 1-800-588-8717; both are available 24/7. If you are experiencing an emergency, please call 911. 

Professional counselling services can be accessed via Wellness Together Canada, call 1-866-585-0445 or visit

Skip to content